Student Energy Blog

Light up your life with LED - A TSEP Rep Blog

Light up your life with LED - A TSEP Rep Blog

LED lights may not be the first thing that come to mind when talking about energy saving. However, due to their energy efficiency they have helped the UK take a big step towards reducing our carbon emissions.

Studies conclude that energy efficiency can make a real impact in helping us to reduce our carbon footprint (BBC). Renewable energy has helped reduce the UK’s consumption by 95 terawatt hours (TWh) between 2005 and 2019; some more efficient products helped save 103 TWh in the same time frame! There is a negative though- the cost.

I am by no means against renewable energy (I believe it has a lot to offer the planet). However, renewable energy is not cheap and therefore unaffordable for many.

The best solution then, especially for us students who want to help the environment, is to invest in energy efficient appliances. EU regulation has helped the progress of UK energy efficiency, by placing strict product regulations on many household appliances.

LED lights are one of the best products to buy. They are often cheap and much more efficient than other light bulbs. This is because they convert 95% of energy into light and the other 5% into heat. In comparison, a traditional light bulb does the opposite, with 95% of the energy going to heat and only 5% to light. This also helps to benefit the student financially, by lowering electricity bills, which can make some investments seem more worthwhile.

Outside of the home, there is a larger role for the government to play in promoting energy efficient products. Even though they claim to champion energy efficiency, they often fail to promote it. Additionally, with Brexit looming, the UK Government will need to take on a bigger role in tackling climate change with some major policy initiatives.

I personally voted to Remain, but believe that if we were to leave, the government needs to put energy saving and climate change at the forefront of its agenda. Unfortunately, however, I believe that the issue may become lost in amongst all the others that are being discussed. At the moment, the European Union are the ones who have provided us with strict energy regulations, so it is the government’s job to uphold these and improve upon them.

All in all, there is still much that we can do, not least by making sure that you buy energy efficient products you are able to not only help yourself, but the planet around you

Will Norrell